World No Tobacco Day, A Good Day to Quit
The theme for World No Tobacco Day, 31 May 2017, is “Tobacco – a threat to development.” I am sure you already know the of pros and cons for smoking, such as health, finances and odours.
Did you know about the environmental impact of smoking?
- Tobacco waste contains over 7000 toxic chemicals that poison the environment, including human carcinogens.
- Tobacco smoke emissions contribute thousands of tons of human carcinogens, toxicants, and greenhouse gases to the environment.
- Tobacco waste is the largest type of litter, by count, globally.
- Up to 10 billion of the 15 billion cigarettes sold daily are disposed in the environment.
- Cigarette butts account for 30–40% of all items collected in coastal and urban clean-ups.
If you are choosing to quit smoking today, you can know you’ll be helping yourself as well as the environment!